Tuesday, August 12, 2008

the Refrigedaire experiment

Admin/Owner Options

Coming back from holiday nearly two weeks ago I was faced with a decision, to turn the fridge back or not?

If I turn the fridge on, I know that I need to charge the batteries almost daily. If not, well, that was the great unknown.

So I decided to plump for the living without a fridge option.
Surprisingly it hasnt been as hard as I thought it might be. The fridge is still a fairly cool place to keep stuff as part of it is below the water line so its a bit cooler down there, also the weather hasn't exactly been roasting.
So what in fact do I need a fridge for? I worked out that the butter ( at less than £1 per pack) and soya milk ( £2 for a 1ltr carton) plus odd bits of cheese and salad were costing me around a pound a day in fuel, charging the batteries to keep them cool.
turn the fridge off and I only need to charge the batteries once per week. Im saving £5 in fuel per week at the moment, but what have I sacrificed and is it worth it?

In short, Ive sacrificed bugger all! ok, I havent bothered buying butter in as I use so little of it but the rest, well, my soya milk keeps perfectly ok in a cool area for 3 days, my vegetables and fruit are all the same. In fact nothing I use actually needs a refrigerator, as long as I buy fresh little and often who needs a fridge? Not me.

its quite a revelation, watching food, waiting to see how long it will last un-refrigerated. So far humous has been the shortest lived at 3 days when it started to go furry, but by that time Id managed to scoff most of it. Cucumber lasts at least 5 days. So does Soya milk.

drinking red wine instead of white is apparently more healthy for me too, so hurray for not switching my fridge back on.
My neighbours ( if I had any) would probably thank me too for this experiment as it means I dont have to break any waterways rules for the hours I run my gennie or engine at.

the only downside I can possibly see is the fact that if I buy ice cream I have to eat the entire tub... which is no good for my healthy eating regime.

No comments: